Getting a Marriage License

Applying For a Marriage License and Associated Fees

Marriage License

  1. There is no waiting period for a marriage license.
  2. Applicants MUST be 18 years of age or older.
  3. Your Marriage License will be valid for a period of 6 months and is only valid in the State of Minnesota.  If it expires, you will need to reapply and pay the fee again.
  4. You do not need to be married in the Minnesota County from which you obtained your license.

Marriage License Application Process

  1. The application form can be completed online at MN Official Marriage System, either at home or at the Recorder’s Office.  
    • Include your permanent address on the application; if you are unsure of an address, a parent’s address or some other permanent address can be used. Your certified Marriage Certificate will be mailed to that address after the certificate has been filed.
    • If you have been previously married and are divorced, you must provide the divorce date including the place of termination and court where terminated.  If you are widowed, please provide the date and place of death.
    • If you have a felony conviction, you cannot change your name through marriage. Contact Court Administration AFTER your marriage for information on how to change your name.
    • Do not print out the application form.
  2. Both applicants must appear in person to complete the application process within 90 days.  If one of the applicants cannot appear in person, please contact the Recorder’s Office to discuss your options.
  3. Bring a valid photo ID.  You will verify the information on the application, sign the application and pay the fee at the Recorder’s Office.

Marriage Application Fees

  • $115.00 – standard fee/no premarital education
  • $40.00 – reduced marriage license fee*

*Applies to applicants who have completed at least 12 hours of premarital education.  In order to qualify for the discount, the applicants must present a signed, dated and notarized or sealed Educator’s Statement (PDF). 

Cash, check or credit card are accepted.  A credit card fee of 2.5% with a minimum fee of $1.50 applies.  

Application fees are non-refundable.

Certified Marriage Certificate

The Certified Marriage Certificate will be mailed back to the couple after we receive the Marriage Certificate following the ceremony.  This certified copy can be used to change your name on passports, driver’s licenses, social security cards and other accounts.  

Your marriage record will be held in Stevens County.  If you need additional certified copies in the future, you will need to contact us.   Marriage records are NOT held statewide. 

You can start the process of changing the name on your social security card by visiting the Social Security website or read more about the process of changing your name at this Social Security Administration webpage.