Credentials to Perform Marriages
Credentials to Perform Marriages Anywhere in the State of Minnesota
File your officiant credentials with any county in Minnesota to be able to solemnize marriages - anywhere in the State of Minnesota. Non-Minnesota residents can also apply.
To file your officiant credentials:
In person - Stevens County Recorder, 400 Colorado Ave., Suite 305, Morris, MN 56267
- Complete, but do not sign, a certificate of filing form.
- The form must be signed while you are in the Recorder's office.
- Present credentials of license or ordination or letter of good standing if applicable (M.S. 517.05)
- Present current and valid photo ID.
- Pay the $46.00 fee by cash or check.
By mail - Stevens County Recorder, 400 Colorado Ave., Suite 305, Morris, MN 56267
- Complete Certificate of Filing - signature will need to be notarized
- Include credentials of license or ordination or letter of good standing if applicable (M.S. 517.05).
- Send all of these documents plus a $46.00 check or money order made out to Stevens County Recorder. Be sure to include a return address. All submitted documents will be recorded and returned to the address provided.
Providing an Educator's Statement to a Couple You've Worked With
MS 517.08 Subd 1 (c) & (d): Statute specifically outlines what must be submitted and the education required:
(c) The marriage license fee for parties who have completed at least 12 hours of premarital education is $40. In order to qualify for the reduced license fee, the parties must submit - at the time of applying for the marriage license - a statement that is signed, dated, and notarized or marked with a church seal, from the person who provided the premarital education on their letterhead confirming that it was received. The premarital education must be provided by a licensed or ordained minister or the minister’s designee, a person authorized to solemnize marriage or a person authorized to practice marriage and family therapy. The education must include the use of a premarital inventory and the teaching of communication and conflict management skills.
For your convenience, you can complete the Educator’s Statement (PDF) which includes wording required by statute, and send it along with your couple when they go to apply for the marriage license.