If you want to vote, you must certify:
- You are 18 years old on Election Day
- You are a citizen of the United States
- You will have resided in Minnesota for 20 days immediately preceding Election Day
- You have any felony conviction record discharged, expired, or completed
- You are not under court-ordered guardianship, where a court has revoked your voting rights
- You have not been ruled legally incompetent by a court of law
In Minnesota, a person must register to vote before you can vote. There are two options for registering to vote:
- Pre-registration: you may register up to 20 days before Election Day
- On Election Day at your polling place
Your name will appear on the polling place roster if you choose to register to vote at least 20 days before Election Day. Your registration will remain current until you move, change your name or do not vote for four consecutive years.
Online Registration is Now Available
To register online you will need to have an email address and a Minnesota-issued driver's license, Minnesota ID card or last 4 digits of your Social Security Number. Visit the Secretary of State website for more information on online registration.
If you reside in Stevens County and would like to register to vote, download and complete the Voter Registration Form (PDF) and mail or return to:
Stevens County Auditor-Treasurer
400 Colorado Ave, Suite 303
Morris, MN 56267
Election Day Registration
If you are not registered or you need to update your registration on Election Day, you may do so at your polling place. Your polling place is based on the location of your residence. Find your Polling Place on the Secretary of State website. You are required to provide proof of residence when registering on Election Day.
You must have one of the following with your current name and address in the precinct to verify your residence:
- A Valid Minnesota driver's license, learner's permit, Minnesota ID card, or a yellow receipt of any of these
- A Valid student ID card including your photo, if you are on a student housing list on file at the polling place
- A Tribal ID card that contains your picture and signature
- A Valid registration in the same precinct under a different name or address
- A Notice of late registration sent to you by your county auditor
- A Voter registered in the same precinct as you who can confirm your address with a signed oath
- An Employee of a residential facility, including nursing homes, battered women's shelters, homeless shelter and other licensed facilities, may vouch that you live there (only if the facility has provided the county with a certified list of employees)
Or, you may provide both a photo ID from the list below, and on of the current bills listed below with your current name and address in the precinct.
Photo IDs (May be Expired)
ID must contain the voter's name and photo, and may be expired.
- Driver's License, state ID card or learner's permit issued by any state
- United States Passport
- United States Military ID card
- Tribal ID card with the name, signature and photo of the voter
- Minnesota university, college, or technical college ID card
- Minnesota high school ID card
The document must have the voter's current name and address in the precinct, and can be shown electronically or on paper.
- Residential lease or rental agreement (must be valid through Election Day)
- Current student fee statement
- Bill, account or start of service statement due or dated within 30 days of election for:
- Phone (landline, cell, VoIP, etc.)
- Television (cable, satellite, etc.)
- Internet services
- Solid waste or sewer services
- Electric, gas or water
- Banking or credit card
- Rent or mortgage payments
For more information on registering to vote visit the Secretary of State website.